The court sent Pavel under round-the-clock house arrest for two months

Суд отправил Павла под круглосуточный домашний арест на два месяца

The Shevchenkovsky Court of Kiev sent the former governor of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra Pavel (Peter Lebed) under round-the-clock house arrest until May 30 on suspicion of inciting inter-confessional hatred and justifying the armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine.

The court granted the petition of the investigators of the SBU and the Kyiv regional prosecutor’s office.

According to the investigation, from the beginning of the full-scale war of the Russian Federation against Ukraine, Pavel justified armed aggression while communicating with believers and spoke negatively against the OCU, which could cause an aggressive attitude towards them.

The petition refers to two events: according to the investigation, in May 2022, during a telephone conversation with Tamara Fedyuk, Pavel made remarks that justify the aggression of the Russian Federation, and he also recorded a video message to the believers of the UOC-MP, in which he humiliated the OCU and said ” be smart and not follow the instructions of the “insane tormentors”.

Prosecutors noted the risks of a suspect escaping, pressure on witnesses, destruction or distortion of physical evidence.

The lawyers objected to the satisfaction of the petition and asked to choose a milder measure of restraint – a personal obligation.

“There is a war between religious organizations in society. The church is separated from the state and it should not interfere,” said the suspect’s lawyer Nikita Chekman. He also believes that the suspicion and risks are unfounded.

He noted that representatives of the OCU, who are opponents of the UOC, were interrogated in the criminal case.

The bishop of the UOC-MP himself called the suspicion political and stated that he “was always against aggression.”

“I would like Russia to leave us alone. I didn’t do anything to be accused of something. I have always been against aggression. I am currently in Ukraine. This is my land,” Pavel said.

He also asked to provide him with a copy of the records referred to by the investigation and asked to interrogate the victims Romanchuk and Klos, who, according to him, are representatives of the OCU, opposed to him and whom he does not know.

“I know that this is a political order. I was told to go to the OCU. The SBU called me to the director of the museum and said that a criminal case should be initiated against me. And so they did. I won’t figure out who, I won’t settle scores. I accept everything as the will of God,” said the Metropolitan of the UOC-MP.

Also in court, Paul stated that he was “threatened to be hanged and killed.” When asked if this was his voice on the recordings published by the SBU, he noted: “Perhaps he said something in jest.”

Also during the court session, the question arose about the place of residence of Pavel. In the event of a preventive measure in the form of house arrest, he asked to be left in the Lavra, where he has been living for 29 years. However, the prosecutors noted that he was registered at a different address, and Lavra belongs to the state.

The court sent him under round-the-clock house arrest at the address on Molodezhnaya Street.

According to the source of the UP, Metropolitan Pavel will be under house arrest in the village. Voronkov, Boryspil district, Kyiv region, using an electronic bracelet.

As of 9:50 p.m., Pavel could not be put on an electronic bracelet because he claims to have problems with his legs. A doctor must come to the court. Later, they put on the bracelet.

  • On April 1, Pavel (Lebed) was handed a suspicion of “violating the equality of citizens depending on their religious beliefs” and “glorification of participants in the armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine.”
  • The SBU published a cut of Pavel’s telephone conversations and sermons.
  • Pavel Lebed said in the courtroom that he was “against aggression,” but did not mention Russia.
  • The court session on choosing a measure of restraint for Pavel was postponed until Monday. Pavel said that he felt unwell “because of the level of sugar.” Later, the meeting was rescheduled for 18:30 Saturday, having agreed on the forced bringing of Pavel.