The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe on Thursday, October 13, adopted a resolution in which the Russian Federation was recognized as a terrorist regime. This decision was supported by 99 delegates, one abstained.
The document entitled “Further escalation of the Russian Federation’s aggression against Ukraine” states that “this aggression must be unequivocally condemned as a crime in itself, as a violation of international law and as the main threat to international peace and security.”
PACE became the first international organization to recognize Russia as a terrorist state.
Having unanimously approved the resolution, the Parliamentary Assembly recognized the current Russian regime as a terrorist one, and also called on the member states of the Council of Europe:
- provide Ukraine with air defense systems;
- unequivocally condemn the pseudo-referendums held in the Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaporizhia and Kherson regions of Ukraine from September 23 to 27, 2022, and refrain from recognizing any of their consequences;
- condemn the attempted annexation of the Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaporozhye and Kherson regions as a violation of international law and a serious threat to international peace and security and avoid recognizing any consequences;
- provide financial support for the reconstruction of Ukraine;
- ensure a comprehensive system of responsibility for gross violations of international law resulting from Russia’s aggression against Ukraine;
- speed up the creation of the Special International Tribunal to hold the Russian Federation accountable for the crime of aggression against Ukraine;
- create a comprehensive international compensation mechanism, including an international register of losses, and actively cooperate with the Ukrainian authorities in this direction;
- encourage Moscow to allow humanitarian missions of the UN, the International Committee of the Red Cross, the Council of Europe or any other international organization or member state to facilitate the exchange of prisoners of war and the release of political prisoners;
- support the idea that any negotiations will take place on Ukraine’s terms.
Before the vote in PACE, President Volodymyr Zelensky spoke via video link. He called on the Assembly to recognize the Russian Federation as a terrorist country, create a tribunal for the Russian Federation and a compensation mechanism for Ukraine.